Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It's Not About Circumstances

If I have learned one thing during this season of life, I have learned this:

"True joy and lasting contentment does not come from my circumstances, it comes from the only true source, God."

I have learned this by dwelling and clinging to an awesome verse in Habakkuk:

" 17 Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior."

I love what I learned from a commentary:

Even in the midst of absolute ruin and abject famine, the prophet was prepared to trust God. He realized that inner peace did not depend on outward prosperity. Habakkuk did not state that he would merely endure in the hour of distress. He said he would rejoice in the Lord and be joyful. God is the inexhaustible source and infinite supply of joy.

Far too many people keep trying to find joy, but happiness is not found in circumstances. Joy is available to everyone, even to those stripped of every material possession, for joy is to be found in a Person.

We were pretty close to being stripped of every material possession. Our house got broken into and they took our t.v., laptop, camera, ipod, etc. Then Colby got in a wreck and his car was totalled, and we lost that. We have been praying about putting our house on the market, so that might be gone soon. I have to realize that my happiness is NOT in these things. They are NOTHING. Take it all away. Will I wake up and be content in a different house, and without some of the items everyone else has? Yes. Why? Because my contentment lies in the Lord. Period. Nothing else.

I am choosing today (and trying to choose every day) to be joyful no matter what. He is my true source of joy, my lasting joy, and my permanent contentment.

5 comments:

Mrs. Kelly Ross said...

Amanda-

Thank you for writing this when you did. I am struggling right now! Struggling b/c I thought I needed joy from circumstance- I wasn't going to the ONE to get it from- and to rejoice in every moment. I'm learning right now that it is a STRUGGLE to not be around other christians, we are surrounded by a lot of unbelievers and it is HEART WRENCHING to say the least- thank you for these words- they meant a lot as I'm sitting here so depressed about my situation!!!! LOVE YOUUUUUU

sara said...

dang girl... im convicted... thank you! The Lord is incredible! love you so much amanda sue taylor!!

DeWeese Fam of Four said...

Thanks again for being honest & real. We have gone through such a similiar growth lesson. I'm sure Colby knows all the crazyness. It's been hard to be stripped of our financial security, reputation and pride. To be humble and require the giving of others, including my folks hospitatlity for MONTHs. It's a daily battle for us to trust, hope and bring glory to God for His plans and His providence.

Laurie Tomlinson said...

You are a blessing!!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl- I've already said this, but I feel like it needs to be said again. You have SO blessed me today with this verse and these words. Thank you for sharing!