Tuesday, May 26, 2009

One Amazing Woman...

I remember it oh so very well. It was August of 2004. I was a sophomore in college. I was chosen that year to be a RA (Resident Advisor) of the freshman girls dorm. I was in charge of 24 lovely ladies. I was reviewing all the names of the girls that were just minutes away from entering the 2nd floor and moving all their stuff into their dorm. I came to Sara's name...and her "interesting" last name: Schakelaar. I just stared at her name wondering how in the world do you pronounce this name: shake-eee-laire or shock-eee-lar or what? Who is this girl? Where is she from? What is she going to be like?

Little did I know that she would become one of my VERY VERY VERY best friends!

We have been through so much together. She was threre for me when I was gone for a semester to study abroad in Costa Rica. We have been through family situations together, boy situations together, college together, life together.

Some things that stand out to me about my relationship with Sara:

1. The first time we went running I basically had to beg her and pull her to come with me. She screamed the entire 0.5 of a mile that we ran and hated it. Months later we were training for a full marathon together. We ran so much together. She ran the entire way around Lake Hefner (10 miles) by herself. On one torturous run, she cried and I scratched her back for a mile.

2. We have had the DEEPEST talks about life and God around Lake Hefner. We learned the powerful truth that God is faithful even when we are not. Lake Hefner is a powerful place for Sara and I.

3. We had a horrible philosophy on college tests. We would never want to study so we came up with this: "okay, when we are like 80 years old, are people really going to ask us, "hey Sara, hey Amanda, how did you do on that Earth and Sky test?" ----"No, no one is going to ask us that." So, we would not study. On one occasion, we got our tests back (that we did not study for AT ALL) and we got a 78. We could not believe we passed and did that good on a test that we did not even look at the notes for. The professor proceeded to tell us that the number on the front is NOT our score. It IS the number of questions we got WRONG. haha! We made a 22 on the test. Awesome!

4. I somehow talked Sara into taking a masters level bible class with me that was towards my major and had nothing to do with hers. She hated it. I loved it. One student that sat behind us had terrible gas. Sara and I had to leave this masters level class due us laughing uncontrollably like we were in elementary school. Oh man, I am laughing just thinking of it.

5. We have great memories with our sweet friend Meredith concerning birds and midgets.

6. She is the best back scratcher and would love playing with my hair. Okay maybe she didn't love it, but I sure did!

7. Sara was a bridesmaid in my wedding and a bridesmaid in every one elses wedding too! She has a movie that was made because of her: 27 Dresses. That is because she is the best friend to everyone!

8. Sara lived with Colby and I last summer so she could work and save money and not have to pay rent. She lived with me when I found out I was pregnant for the first time. We had a lot of good talks in her room.

I literally could go on and on and on and on about this incredible woman and all of our memories together. She is unreal. She is the sweetest person you will ever meet.

Why am I blogging about her you ask? Because today, my sweet, dear, beautiful, incredible friend had left for Slovenia until DECEMBER!!!! ahhh... I mean, really people....can you not serve the Lord in Oklahoma? Becca? Sara? Do you have to go to Mexico? Do you have to go to Slovenia?

Sara is going to Slovenia to serve the Lord through a ministry called Josiah Venture. You should check out their website and Sara's blog for updates. She will be blogging for the next 6 months about all she is doing and learning. I can not wait to read it!

Sara, I can not tell you enough how much you mean to me. You have enriched my life in such a beautiful way. I have told you over and over again how much I look up to you and you are younger than me. You are going to be so blessed because of your obedience and your willingness to openly follow the Lord, even if it is hard and uncomfortable. Yes, you are leaving and giving up a lot in Oklahoma and Colorado, but oh Sara, you are gaining so much more. You are gaining a journey to know the Lord in such a deeper way and to be challenged and stretched. You are going to be missed by so many people, but you are also covered in prayer by so many people. You are loved. You are valued. You are going to be thought about often. I love you!!!!



2 comments:

Becca Gantz said...

great post. i am a little confused as to why you continuously put the picture that i hate the most up around your house and now on your blog. oh gosh amanda. haha love you girl. and sara and i are the luckiest to have someone like you in our lives. thanks for all the encouragement.

sara said...

becca is so right... we are the blessed ones to have a friend like you. you are the most encouraging friend i have and i do NOT know what i would do without you amanda taylor!!! thank you for your post!