Monday, May 11, 2009

What I Never Want to Forget About Today

Today has been a rather eventful day if I must say so myself. It all started off with the following picture:Yes, you are seeing this correctly. My sweet daughter pooped all the way through her diaper and all over her back. I have never seen so much poop in my life. Good Morning Amanda. I started my day with a bath for her and running our sheets through the washing machine and dryer. Colby was not home as he left at 5:30AM for the Young Life Golf Tournament all day.

The majority of my day was spent at home hanging out with sweet Addie. I watched her do this a lot during the day. Oh she has a way of melting my heart. She is so sweet and fun to be around. I love getting to stay at home with her!

Then the scary part of my day happened. I talked to Colby at 3:00 and he said he was coming home soon and had to get some things ready for his last Young Life club tonight. At 5:00, Colby was still not home. That's when I thought I should call him to make sure everything is okay. I called him minutes after he was in a wreck. He sounded okay but couldn't talk much because the police were trying to ask him a lot of questions. He had to get off the phone and I hurried and put Addie in her carseat and got to the scene as fast as I could. I didn't know anything except for the location. I didn't know who was involved. How it happened. If it was bad? I just drove up to see police and ambulance and tons of flashing lights and knew Colby was involved. It was a very scary scene:

Honestly, it looked a lot worse then it really was. When I arrived, I could not see Colby anywhere. That is because they already loaded him up in the ambulance. That was so scary to me. I didn't know why he was in the ambulance. Was he way okay? Thankfully, Rodney was there (Colby's Young Life boss) and said everything was fine, but Colby was bleeding a lot from his knee and got light headed so they wanted him to lay down on the stretcher. They took him to the hospital and then Rodney and I drove there to meet up with him.
It took a while before we could see Colby. They put an injecion and some staples in his knee and wrapped it all up. He has a small wound on his head and they took care of that and then gave him a cat scan to make sure everything was okay. Once they finished the cat scan we could go in and see him. He was great, and if anyone knows Colby, knows that he has the best attitude and outlook. He was so positive and was asking all the nurses how they are doing and where they are from and what their story is. LOL. He is so caring!

Once Colby's lightheadedness went away, he got his shoes on and we walked to a different room where the man was that was also involved in the accident. He is 80 years old and was in pretty good condition. We did hear that there are a few concerns the doctors are dealing with and we are praying that he is fully healed and recovered. Colby was amazing at putting this man above himself and caring for him and his wife.

There are some things that stand out to me from today that I NEVER want to forget:

1. I hope and pray that Colby and I grow up to be like Rodney and Kristen. First of all, Rodney has been celebrating a big birthday in his life. Second of all, he had graduation parties to attend for his high school students. And third of all, he had his last Young Life Club for the semester. He did not do any of those things so he could help us, support us and be there for us in the hospital. His wife immediately arrived to help me take care of Adelyn so I could take care of Colby. They are two of the most incredible people you will ever meet. They did our pre-marital counseling while we were enagaged and have been there for us ever since. Kristen is always amazing and caring and asking how I am doing and being there for me. Today, I learned what being a servant is like, and I want to be like that. Thank you Rodney and Kristen for all you do for us. You make such a huge difference.

2. I do not think I will ever forget the 80 year old mans face and his sweet wife when we went to their room. I have no idea how long they have been married, but looking at his sweet wife's face, I would say a good 50 years or more. She just sat there with tears in her eyes caring so deeply for her husband. Oh man, I was about to bawl. That man was the sweetest thing, and he was in pain because of this wreck. He does not deserve to be in pain. He had the bluest eyes I have ever seen and just looked up from his hospital bed, wondering how long he would be there. I experienced a moment in that room that made me want to live differently. Made me want to care more about others. Made me want to focus on what matters. You never know what might happen.

3. I do not want to foget the mixed feelings I had when I heard Colby's car was totalled. Some of you may know that for the past month Colby has been starting his car with this:

Yes, You are right. It is a screwdriver. He starts his car with a screwdriver because his key broke off in his ignition and could not come out. Because we have spent thousands of dollars on his car in one month, we could not afford to get the key out, so Colby "rigged" it to start with a screwdriver.


The above picture is the inside of his "rigged" car. While we were driving to the hospital, Rodney told me something that made me laugh pretty hard. The policeman asked Rodney who's car the Pathfinder was. Rodney told him it was Colby's, the man that was driving it. The policeman said, "Are you sure? Are you sure it wasn't a stolen car? It appears it is a stolen car since he has to have a screwdriver to start it." LOL. Nope, not a stolen car. Just a couple that can not afford to fix it. LOL.
Our usual morning routine before today consisted of the following conversation."
Colby: "Babe...I need your help."
Amanda: "Colby, I am in bed. What do you need?"
Colby: "My car won't start. Will you help me."
Amanda: "Let me get out of my pajamas. Hold on, I'll be there."
Colby: (as he hands me the screwdriver...AKA- "the key"- "Okay, you start the car with the screwdriver while I use a hammer to hit all the parts under the hood of the car. When it starts, we are good to go."
Amanda: "Colby, this is SO ridiculous..." (then sparks start to fly from the car) "This is not safe Colby. I hate this car. It is not reliable. It is not safe."
Colby: "Amanda, this car is perfect. It's my baby. It is my everything. It has treated me sooo good for all these years (which is true...but the years were quickly fading).
Amanda: "Remember when the car broke out in flames at Pep Boys. You are not safe to drive this car. Can we please trade it in for something cheap?"
Colby: "No, this is perfect. It is going to last me a few more solid years... Then we'll see."

Well, this might just be a blessing in disguise. No more marital fights for Colby and I. We don't have the car to fight over anymore. LOL. I feel sad and happy at the same time.

It was very scary to drive up to the scene and to see the ambulance drive away with my husband in it. However, it really was not as bad as it looked. Thank you to everyone that prayed. Thank you for caring. Thank you for being there for us. We are blown away by people's support. We can only pray we are there for others like they have been there for us.

Thank you Lord for today. Thank you for allowing us to be home now with just a few minor injuries. Please Lord heal that 80 year old man. May he go home fully recovered. Work out the insurance details. Work out the financial details. We trust you this day that you are good and you are faithful and you do provide.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Amanda-you are SO cute and I am SO glad Colby is safe. I am cracking up at the poopy diaper. You have come SO far as a young mommy. Adelyn is so blessed you have you as a mommy and Colby as a daddy.

Mandy Hope said...

Wow!!! That must have scared you bad. I actually got in a wreck with Abbi P and Miss Barb last Tuesday pulling out of the driveway! We are all okay though. ;) Love you bunches!

-Mandy (aka WordGirl)